The main problem I had was sourcing the t-shirt yarn for it. I finally managed to hunt some down on Ebay. I bought 4 skeins of Moda Vera Gypsy for a lot less than it would have cost me in the store.
I chose to go with a brown colour for the yarn as our house has a lot of neutral colours and woodwork.
The next problem I had was deciding on exactly what doily pattern I wanted to use for a rug.
I finally found one on Ravelry called "Birthday Doily" which was a free pattern. It can be found here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/birthday-doily
I then had to go out and buy myself some really large crochet hooks, so I chose to get a 15mm and a 19mm. Of course, I didn't need an excuse to buy some yarn while I was at the store, but that's another story!
Anyway, once I got used to tension of the t-shirt yarn and the really large hook (I chose to work with the 15mm), it was smooth sailing.
I managed to complete it over 3 evenings and it now has pride of place on my bedroom floor in front of my mother's rosewood tallboy that I inherited when she moved to the nursing home.
This is my finished rug:
It's not the best photo in the world, the camera just didn't like picking up the proper colour, but I think you can get the idea.
It took just over 1 skein of the Gypsy and they are huge skeins (500gms). Now I just have to decide what to do with the remaining yarn......
Another doily rug, an owl basket, or something else.....I guess I'll decide on something soon enough....