Saturday 4 January 2014

Crochet Mood Blanket 2014

I stumbled upon the Crochet Mood Blanket 2014 challenge on New Years Day and knew straight away that this was a project that I wanted to do.
The rules are simple.....
You can crochet or knit one square or row a day or week in a colour to match your mood.
Depending on the size blanket or even how many you want to make at the end of the challenge, will help to decide on how often you do the squares or rows.
I was going to tackle the 365 squares, but the square I chose, is quite large, so I don't know if it will end up being 365 - I may have to change my train of thought and only do 52.
I chose to use the squares from Bear's Rainbow Blanket by Purl Soho - which is a free pattern.
I am making it in 8 ply acrylic - because that is what I have the most of in my stash - and I'm using a 4mm hook.
I've made 2 squares so far - a blue and a green. I will be edging them all in an Oatmeal colour and I may use some of the colours for the border or I may just keep it simple, I'm not sure yet, but there is plenty of time to figure that out :)
I've decided to join as I go, because I know that nobody likes joining at the best of times and the daunting thought of possibly having to join 365 squares together at the end, is something that even I am not keen enough to do! lol.
Here's my first square....

I've decided that rather than match my mood on the day, I will be working with the first colour that jumps out at me from my stash. I'm also keeping a journal of the colours and days and making notes of how I was feeling on the day that I made the square, which I will keep with the blanket(s) when I'm finished :) 

For those that are interested in doing this great challenge, there is a Facebook group that you can join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/crochetmoodblanket2014/
There is also information available on Instagram: http://instagram.com/mummy_stacey which is where it all began. 
It only took one woman to have an idea and voice it, and it has gone viral. This lady thought that she would only get a small following, but it has grown so quickly and she now has 1,588 members in the Facebook group and a large following on Instagram as well!
It just goes to show how one small idea can bring so many people together!
I'll keep you updated as often as I can with this project. I hope you think about giving it a shot yourself :) 

2 comments:

  1. Love your squares and method of choosing colors. I'll be looking forward to see your progress. And I love your blog!
    Cait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cait :)
      I hope to update regularly as time allows, hopefully weekly! Thanks for stopping by.
      Take care.

      Delete