Monday, 17 September 2012

Bitten By The Felt Bug...

Lately I haven't felt much like doing anything of a crafty nature, due to all that is happening with my mother. For those that don't know, mum (who has just turned 86) broke her hip on 28th August and had to have surgery to repair it. It was touch and go there for a while after the surgery and she ended up in the ICU ward. She managed to get over that hurdle and is now in rehab trying to get back on her feet, but it's a long slow process and she has had a couple of falls over the past couple of days, which luckily haven't caused any further damage. But it's been a very worrying and trying time for myself and my family. We are in the process of trying to find a permanent placement for mum in a nursing home because she needs to be somewhere that she will be monitored and close to medical help if she needs it. We are too far out of town and our house isn't equipped for mum if the rehab doesn't get her back to the level she was at before this latest setback. It's also very mentally draining on all of us, so we believe this will be in everyone's best interests....

Yesterday I decided that enough was enough and delved into my craft cupboard!
I pulled out a 12" x 6" box canvas, my stash of felt sheets and embroidery threads and set to work.

This is what I ended up putting together :)

I purchased some cutting files designed by the very talented Trina Clark ( a while back and was thinking about what I could do with them, then inspiration hit!

I printed off the pattern and set to work cutting the pieces out in felt.

First I found a colour I liked as the backing for the piece and attached it to the canvas. I was just going to glue everything on, but decided that I would be smart and sew it all on instead! Not an easy feat by any means and I have battle scars to prove it lol.

After attaching the backing, I then set to work figuring out the placement for the owls and branch. I started with the hearts and tree bough, then the leaves and lastly the owls.
Sorry, I didn't think to take progress photo's so I can't show you the steps of how I put it all together.

Each of the pieces was glued on with a small dot of craft glue to hold them in place, then I sewed them into place. Being the creative genius that I am, I decided it would be fun to sew through the felt AND the canvas. Big mistake!! My fingers hurt like crazy and I don't know how many times I swore when I stabbed myself, but in the end, I'm happy with the result!

Here's a closeup of the stitching detail...

Once I had finished sewing everything on, I then blanket stitched around the outside edge of the backing piece of felt and the canvas because it was starting to come unstuck and roll up.
I didn't like the look of the blanket stitch, so I delved back into my stash and found a reel of blue "ric rac" that I had stashed away and then sewed that around the outside edge of the canvas and over the edge of the felt with invisible quilter's thread. All I can say is, thank goodness for thimbles!

I think the next time I get a clever idea like this, I'm not going to sew through the canvas. I'll attach it all to the backing piece first and then attach the backing to the canvas.

Now I just have to locate my picture hanging kit and find a spot to hang it!

No comments:

Post a Comment